11.13.2014

GIRLS GO TO _______,TO GET MORE KNOWLEDGE



Today I thought I would do an advice post about taking college classes in high school.  Just as a heads up, this post is directed towards sophomores for their junior year and juniors for their senior year. If you're currently a freshman in highschool, don't click the x button yet, because this could be helpful resource later down the road, or if you know someone who might need to see this too! Just as a disclaimer: I am in no shape or form anyone who is an expert in all the things I am about to say, so everyone's scenario could be different! I happen to take a PSEO and I thought this would be a great way to share this information for people who are not familiar with this cool opportunity!

WHO SHOULD I TALK TO?
Your best bet would be to talk to your high school guidance counselor to see if this type of program is available. Sometimes guidance counselors have some great tools for students to use, and really help students excel, but you have take the initiative!

WHERE SHOULD I GO?
Try starting out at a local community college only because you may have a better chance of not feeling left out from both your high school (because you are away) or at the college (because you are not a full-time student). Plus, the cost of classes are probably more affordable if you have to pay for them yourself unless your school picks up the tab. I'm fortunate to have my high school pay for the cost as long as I keep my grades high!

WHAT IS IT LIKE?
I can't speak for every college's high school programs, but I will say this... At a community college you can expect to see people from different ages, and I mean the whole lot! You may see people as young as you are, or newly high school grads all the way up to the age of someone who may have a younger grandmother in their late forties-- not to say anyone could not be older or younger than this. Don't let this discourage you or fill you up with pride because you all made it there and you are all there to learn!

Most classes are structured in a form of a lecture by a professor. During all the classes I have taken so far, the professor had notes on a screen for us to copy in addition to a text book we had follow on our own time. I could do another post later, going in depth with the specifics*

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME?
I would definitely recommend starting off with one class at the start of your Junior year, and see if you want to add more your senior year.  

And if you're like me, whereas: you can't drive yet, or you don't want to miss high school classes, or get stuck with evening classes = try a weekend class. The other option is an online class or a hybrid class.

WHY SHOULD I DO THIS?
It will save you and/or your parents money in the long run during college, allowing extra study time freshman year, more time to hang out with your friends, and space for other classes to try.

I hope this was helpful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment below in response to this post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...